Lalit Kala Akademi LucknowThe Lalit Kala Akademi in Lucknow is a nerve center for different types of art and exhibition for art students and lovers in India. If you are visiting this city you can visit this academy and update your knowledge in varied types of art and also look into the various art exhibition of reputed as well as new artist. You would be mesmerized by the visit and this would help you to enjoy your new found respect for art. Lalit Kala Akademi in Lucknow was founded in 1954 by the then Education minister Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. The concept of this academy was first visualized by India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru who wanted India to enjoy an independent identity in the sphere of art. He knew that these academies would also nourish the independent expression of the new artist and help in the cultural growth of India.
Objectives of Lalit Kala Akademi
Lalit Kala Akademi was developed with a dream to achieve a few specific objectives in mind. These are:
- During the period of it birth, there was no research undertaken on varied forms of creative arts like sculpture, painting. This academy was developed to encourage study among students to take up this research and revive the glorious past of India in this sector.
- This academy was also responsible to co ordinate with various regional based art academy and help young artist gain recognition thru proper processes.
- Lalit Kala Akademi was developed to create awareness and exchange of ideas among various art schools. This communication would lead to the growth of new art ideas and new school of thoughts.
- Various publications of art were not organized in a systematic manner. Once this academy was formed various types of publications were organized and documented also.
- One of the primary responsibilities that this renowned academy undertook was to develop an exhaustive art based library which provided knowledge to its students and art lovers.
How to Reach Lalit Kala Akademi Luckow
Lalit Kala Akademi is a popular place in Lucknow and is frequented by curious travelers. The location is around 10 km from Lucknow railway station, 24 km from the airport and 15 km from its local bus stand in Alambagh. From airport and the railway station you can travel there with a little help from auto rickshaw or a taxi. The official address is Regional Centre, 1-Ekta Vihar, Sector- E Aliganj, Lucknow- 226 024. Lalit Kala Akademi is open on all weekdays ( except specified holidays) between 9.30 am to 6 pm.
You can call up at 0522-2324067, 0522-232918 and receive answer for your detailed query. If you are lover of art and its history, you can visit the famous library which is open for outside visitors between the period 9 am to 6 pm.
The art gallery is also open to many young artists who exhibit their work. This academy has a superb auditorium which can be used for various social activities. In case you have a penchant for various art publications, you can buy them from the academy’s sales counter which is open from 9:30 am to 6 pm. If you want to arrange for an art workshop in any of its like Graphics or Culture workshop you can do so and can accommodate around 15 artists in these workshops.
Different Activities Endorsed by Lalit Kala Akademi
- The National Art Exhibition is one of the prestigious activities endorsed by this reputed academy. This exhibition was started in 1955 and continues till this day.
- Many reputed international artist exhibit their work in this academy. Canada was the first country to exhibit their work in 1955. It also supported the cause of UNESCO art reproduction in a bid way.
- Reputed artist in India and from abroad are felicitated by this academy and this fellowship is considered one of the highest honors in the field of art.
- The contribution of Lalit Kala Akademi is immense and it has contributed to create a basic awareness about Indian and other forms of art to the common man in India.